INAM – Innovation Network for Advanced Materials
RELEASE DATE: 27/06/2022
(Berlin, 24/06/2022) INAM – the Innovation Network for Advanced Materials, on behalf of Continental, is organising an Open Innovation Challenge for Sensing Solutions for Smart Belts.
Organizations use Open Innovation to access more diverse sources of ideas and talent. The goal is to find opportunities to solve unmet needs with the help of the right partnerships. INAM organises and hosts Open Innovation Challenges on behalf of their members as well as any interested parties who would like to expand the innovation potential of their organization.
This Open Innovation Challenge is based on Continental’s search for innovative sensors that can be integrated into the rubber belts used in the automotive and industrial sectors for predictive maintenance.
‘’Sensors are the ears and eyes of the data-driven economy. A lot of innovation has happened in the last few decades; yet, there still many exciting developments to make sensor technology more reliable, more energy-efficient and customised for new use cases.’’ said Oliver Hasse, INAM’s Managing Director. ‘’Since its inception, INAM has worked with startups focusing on such challenges and we are very excited to team up with Continental again to connect to innovators around the world.’’
Continental is looking for sensors in the area of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) / micro systems with the capability of integrated wireless data transmission that also don’t require a tethered power supply (passive sensing / energy harvesting).
Due to digitalization and therefore upcoming demand for sensorics in traditional products, Continental is striving for new technologies. Since their customers are also becoming more and more interested in topics like condition monitoring and predictive maintenance, Continental needs a direct channel to these new technologies.
Continental is looking for different ways of monitoring typical properties like temperature and strain of their belts. In this area, there are challenges like the high rotational speed of belt drives and a limited space for any sensor integration. Because of the usage of their products, oftentimes a tethered connection to sensorics isn't possibility. The required sensing technology could be integrated in various applications from the automotive, agricultural, or industrial area.
· You will be able to develop your technology to a mature state with an actual use case.
· You will have a chance to develop strong cooperative ties to Continental.
· Your team will be mentioned in Continental's communication measures (e.g. Social Media Content, Website-Stories, Internal news, Press releases).
· You can grow your international network within Continental and its industry partners.
· You can build your reputation through the strong brand that is Continental.
Your idea should focus on sensors including the following solutions:
· Flat profile of sensors with very small dimensions (Most critically the height)
· Vulcanization profile (approx. 180°C for 30 mins)
· Mandatory: Temperature (-40°C - 125°C) and/or strain (0-2%)
· Additional: Vibration, Non-atmospheric pressure, capacitance
· You are a university research group, research center, individual inventor or startup.
· You have developed an innovative technology that could be tested (Proof of Concept / Minimum Valuable Product is minimum requirement) in one of our applications to address the described challenge.
Applications are open now until the end of July 2022. Finalists will be selected by 8th of August 2022 and the winner(s) will be announce at the end of August.
To apply, head to the Challenge’s F6S page: https://www.f6s.com/sensing-technologies-for-smart-belts/apply
Continental develops pioneering technologies and services for sustainable and connected mobility of people and their goods. Founded in 1871, the technology company offers safe, efficient, intelligent, and affordable solutions for vehicles, machines, traffic and transportation. In 2021, Continental generated sales of €33.8 billion and currently employs more than 193,000 people in 58 countries and markets.
For more information visit: https://www.continental-industry.com/
INAM, the Innovation Network for Advanced Materials, is a global network of companies and research institutes in the field of Advanced Materials. INAM’s goal is to enable the right connections and make technological innovations become reality by working closely with startups, SMEs, corporations, investors, and research institutes to start, grow and transform the development of Advanced Materials.
For more information visit: https://www.inam.berlin/